Image via Wikipedia
Have you heard about the upcoming tsunami of senior growth projected in the next decade? This is what researchers from the Urban Institute are calling the mass influx of retiring baby boomers. The Urban Institute has identified the 20 U.S. cities where most of the baby boomers are expected to retire and where senior housing and care will grow as well.
The Urban Institute has predicted that the senior population of Georgia will increase by 40% between 2010 and 2020 just from the aging in place of the baby boomers alone. Georgia is expecting an additional 4% growth from migration of people 65 and older. That’s a significant number!
Are you able to name the 20 metro areas that will experience the most growth as a result from retiring baby boomers? In case you’re not able, here is the list.
1. Raleigh-Cary, NC (31.6%)
2. Austin-Round Rock, TX (30.1%)
3. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA (29.8%)
4. Boise City-Nampa, ID (28.7%)
5. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV (27.8%)
6. Orlando-Kissimmee, FL (27.2%)
7. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX (23.7%)
8. Dallas-Ft. Worth-Arlington, TX (22.7%)
9. Colorado Springs, CO (22.6%)
10. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX (21.5%)
11. Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ (21.0%)
12. Charleston-North Charleston, SC (20.8%)
13. Albuquerque, NM (19.5%)
14. Tuscon, AZ (19.2%)
15. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC/VA (19.1%)
16. Salt Lake City, UT (19.0%)
17. Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC (18.2%)
18. Denver-Aurora, CO (18.1%)
19. Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro-Franklin, TN (18.1%)
20. Ogden-Clearfield, UT (18.0%)
What will you do to prepare? How do you fit into the senior growth tsunami? Many of these up and coming seniors will need services to help them successfully age and retain their independence.
At BrainMasters, we are preparing to do our part! We are committed to educating the public by increasing awareness of brain health, brain fitness, and brain maintenance as part of a healthy lifestyle to achieve longevity and maintain independence.
Contact us to schedule your brain education series and start building your cognitive reserve. Check our updated calendar for upcoming events and classes during the month of July. We want to help you improve your brain health!